social media essay topics
Writing an essay about social media has become one of the mainstays in communication and technology courses because the topics discussed are constantly evolving. Every day there is something new to learn and debate, so there is always something fresh to write about. But sometimes it can be hard for a student to narrow down his or her focus when choosing a topic idea. This is why we’ve come up with this list of social media essay topics for your consideration:
- Should social media sites collect your personal contact information or allow other applications on their platforms do so before you are allowed to access their programs? Is this invasive?
- Do you think social media platforms should conduct stronger background checks to ensure people are opening legitimate accounts and not stealing identities or cat phishing others?
- How many hours are lost in the course of a regular day because of social media? Consider work productivity, education, physical time, leisure time? Are there are other things we lose?
- Should the government be allowed to monitor people’s behavior on social media? Is this a violation of privacy or a question of national security that we must define and make into law?
- Do you think it is right for human resource managers and hiring managers to be allowed to look up one’s private social media activity when reviewing a candidate’s application to work?
- There are a few major social media companies that have dominated the landscape for more than a decade and have made it difficult for other companies to grow. Is this ethical?
- Should social media companies be responsible for illicit behavior and content over their platforms or should the end-users be more proactive about hiding certain unwanted content?
- Do you think the internet should remain free of government regulation to ensure information is not censored or kept from the public? Use specific examples to show effects from both sides.
- Are people appropriately warned about the dangers of posting private pictures on the web? Do you think the risk lies on their behavior or should social media companies apply more safety?
- Are people becoming shallower because of social media? Advertising agencies are targeting certain ideal images to sell their products and more people are buying into them as a reality.
As a global phenomenon, social networks are present in our daily life for a relatively short time, just over a decade. About the same time, they are in the sphere of interests of scientists — psychologists and sociologists. But there is no definitive answer to the question “Are social networks harmful to the psyche?”
Here are more issues to consider:
Social media affect the views and opinions of modern people. Their use instills perceptions and values that cause harm. Popular interactive platforms, like Instagram or Facebook, create specific stereotypes about the body, thus affecting the body image of countless users.
Social media platforms have a number of obvious benefits on the youth, but they come with severe health implications. That’s because many young people don’t have enough discipline to use them in moderation and balance other important activities. Most of them waste a lot of their time. Young people prefer to surf the Internet at night. It’s no wonder they lose the benefits of quality and good sleep, and that’s why many of them have serious concentration problems. Their brain doesn’t have enough time to regenerate.
It is easy to understand how to write a persuasive essay about social media if you already know how to deal with this type of academic paper. Just write about the topic you have chosen using persuasive essay methods and style. The first page of your paper should include a powerful thesis statement. Here is an essay sample you can check to get inspired:
…There are lots of benefits for a human that social media can offer. It is one of the easiest ways to communicate with people you know and find new friends even if the person is on some other continent. And it is not just a simple conversation but an opportunity to share media content also. Yes, social media is the right word for this. It is one of the most incredible inventions of humanity.
The main point of a persuasive essay is to persuade the reader that your idea or belief is logical and worthy. Some samples of writing a persuasive essay about social media can help to succeed.
Despite the fact that networking is very helpful in communication, psychologists and sociologists claim that there are many negative effects which one can describe in a social media essay. Some of them even lead to the lethal end.