why yale example essays
What inspires you? (35 words or fewer)
Your response here is just your backswing setting you up to serve up an ace in the next question. If you are obsessed with one key academic area, think of one or two interests that either relate to or contrast with it. If you don’t have such a single focus, just pick two or three interests that you’ll be able to say the most about in the next prompt.
For instance, you may be thinking that everyone applies to Yale for the same reason: the school’s stellar academic reputation.
- Break down the “Why Yale” essay
- Explain what the university is looking for in your response
- Suggest topics to write about that’ll help you make an impact
- Give a “Why Yale Essay” sample to get inspiration from another student’s answer
- Discuss the majors or courses that are of interest to you. For example, you may wish to take a course on psychopharmacology in order to understand how the brain interacts with drugs.
- Connect the problem you hope to solve with Yale’s liberal arts education. How will taking courses in a variety of disciplines allow you to address the issue at hand? You might complement your studies in psychopharmacology with political science courses on public health policy, or seminars on the history of science and medicine.
My greatest indulgence is nostalgia and that sickeningly sweet taste it leaves as I swirl time around in my mouth. — Isidora Stankovic ’16
On boring airplane flights, I do not shy away from strangers. Rather, I conduct little interviews. — Rachel O’Connell ’15
Computer Science, Economics, Italian
She wore a fluffy elf cap—powder pink, of course—and at barely an arm’s length, she already sported wispy hair and delicate fingers and toes. Still, her puffy eyes seemed too big for her tiny visage, which seemed curled into an eternal…scowl? Gingerly, I poked one chubby cheek. “Not cute at all,” I .